Supporting the implementation of a climate-smart rural landscape in Colombia
The Project assists the Government of Colombia in its policy shift to a more social and greener economy in order to improve the revenues and livelihoods of the population, notably in the Orinoquia basin and more generally in Colombia, while reducing their vulnerability and mitigating their contribution to climate change. More specifically, the project supports the “Green Growth” strategy, which strengthens the capacities of local authorities and stakeholders in the Departments of Meta and Vichada in the formulation and development of their planning instruments to develop investment taking into account climate change impacts and mitigation opportunities. It also promotes investment in "climate-smart" activities in farming and forestry through adapted land-use management.
- Supported the implementation of national climate change policies in Colombia and promoted global public goods.
- Reduced vulnerability to climate change and reduced inequalities between rural and urban areas.
- Poverty alleviation and enhanced social cohesion in the current post-conflict era.
- Increased revenues of the final beneficiaries and reduced poverty (population of Meta and Vichada Departments).
- Contributed to the on-going peace process (through sustainable development of the rural landscape).