LATEST NEWS & EVENTS
This two-day event, the Caribbean’s largest gathering of professionals in the field of disaster management, is delivered under the theme: “CDM Road to Resilience: Checkpoint 2022 – Advancing a Risk-based Multi-hazard Approach during COVID-19 & Beyond.”
25 participants, involved in urban development projects all across Latin America, were brought together by the LAIF City Life Initiative to swap knowledge and experiences in Cartagena de Indias (Colombia).
In November 2022, Egypt will host the 27th Conference of the Parties of the UNFCCC (COP27) in Sharm El-Sheikh, with a view to building on previous successes and paving the way for future ambition.
It is the 2022 United Nations Climate Change Conference. Egypt assumes the incoming Presidency of COP 27 with a clear recognition of the gravity of the global climate challenge and appreciation of the value of multilateral, collective and concerted action as the only means to address this truly global threat.
Cerro Dominador: The first thermal solar power plant in Latin America
Project led by KfW
- 640,000 tons CO2 equivalent per year of direct GHG emissions avoided through the project
- 175,200 MWh/year generated by the CSP plant
- 382,000 homes supplied with electricity 24 hours/day
- at least 1,906 jobs created through the “Mirror Programme”
Support to SMEs
Eco Business fund for SME Development in Latin America
Project led by KfW
- 47,000 hectares under agroforestry systems supported
- 4.3 million tons of CO2 stored by agroforestry activities
- 4.2 million cubic meters of water saved
- 70,000 hectares of farmland under soil conservation practices
- 3,269 businesses and producers supported
Modernized Irrigation Project for Small and Medium Farmers
Enabling sustainable agricultural production adapted to climate change
- 12,400 hectares are provided with an irrigation system.
- 14,150 families should benefit, many of them mestizos, indigenous, Afro-Ecuadorians and mountaineers.
Improving the sustainability of the electricity service in Suriname
- 43% increase in annual electricity sales by EBS.
- 2,000 kW of solar PV installed capacity.
- 1,410 households benefiting from 24 hours electricity production.
- 30,000 Tons of C02eq will be reduced per year.