Integrated Sector Program for Human Water and Sanitation in Nicaragua (PISASH Program)
The LIFE Program is addressing the deficit in access to drinking water and sanitation in 19 cities for an estimated total population of 520 000 inhabitants, and to prepare investment conditions for a second phase in another 17 cities for 470 000 inhabitants.
Component 1 - Construction and repair of drinking water and sanitation systems in some Nicaraguan cities:
- Drinking water storage systems have been improved in 15 cities.
- Sewer system and residual water treatment have been improved in 13 cities.
Component 2 - Institutional management strengthening:
- Improvement in the capabilities of ENACAL Central and its Local Branches in management, operation and maintenance of water and sewerage systems.
- ENACAL’s Business Sustainability Plan is operationally integrated.
Component 3 - Preparation of Phase II of the LIFE Program:
- Feasibility studies and final designs were carried out for 17 additional cities.