Technical Assistance to the Fonplata Regional Framework Loan
Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia, Paraguay and Uruguay are shareholders of Fonplata, a regional multilateral financial institution established to foster inclusive development within the River Plata Basin and surrounding regions. The project has the objective of supporting multi-sector initiatives centered on climate mitigation and adaptation, in sectors such as the provision of basic services in rural and urban areas, urban renewal, and improvement of climate change resilience in the Basin. Small-sized projects with a focus on social deprivation and climate resilience will be targeted.
LACIF contributes with technical assistance to support Fonplata in improving its policies and procedures in areas that were identified as priorities. The main focus of this support is to upgrade environmental and social safeguards in line with EU standards.
- Build in-house knowledge and technical capacity to establish appropriate policies and processes for mainstreaming climate change actions at Fonplata.
- Build Fonplata’s capacity for effective planning, design and implementation of climate change resilience programmes and projects.
- Facilitate flow of funding from Fonplata to eligible climate action projects and beneficiaries.
- Identify a new pipeline of projects addressing poverty reduction and climate change resilience.
- Improved access to basic services.