Linking REDD+ mechanism with local implementation, the forest component of the Special Climate Change Programme of Mexico (PECC)
20/12/2010 - 31/12/2015
€ 337 000 000
TOTAL LAIF CONTRIBUTION
€ 2 140 000
TYPES OF SUPPORT
CITIES / PROVINCES
Jalisco state and Yucatan peninsula
The project aimed at strengthening technical and institutional capacity to respond at a local level to the fight against climate change; at reducing pressure on watershed forests through the promotion of sustainable development, including the reconversion of productive and agricultural activities and community forestry; and developing and implementing a mechanism for access to international carbon finance, REDD +, in line with the national strategy, in two poor Mexican regions. The project contributed to the creation and development of six inter-municipality associations to promote and finance sustainable rural development tackling deforestation and improving water resources management (REDD+ actions with climate change impact). The project is successfully completed.
- Creation and consolidation of six inter-municipality associations covering five river D28, eleven RAMSAR sites and protected natural areas and for the bio-cultural reserve of Puuc.
- Institutional agreements among these associations and federal ministries to coordinate public programmes in this field.
- Elaboration and implementation of local REDD+ land strategies to paliate deforestation and forest degradation.
- Elaboration of municipal action plans for fighting against climate change.
- Pilot local REDD+ D28projects for sustainable forest management.
- Elaboration of participative investment programmes for emissions reduction.
CONTRIBUTION TO SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS (SDGs)