Energy efficiency and renewable energy for SMEs in Central America - MYPYMES VERDES
The overall objective of the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Program for SMEs in Central America was to contribute to the protection of the climate and the environment. The Program aimed at providing efficient and sustainable access to financing products for environmental investments which correspond to the needs of SMEs in Central America. The Program had two main components:
1) Financing of environmental investments – Provision of funds by the Program Executing Agency to local financial institutions that channel resources to SMEs for energy efficiency (EE) and renewable energy projects.
2) Technical Assistance, studies and promotional activities – Including technical assistance for financial institutions, energy audits of SMEs and feasibility studies of small renewable energy projects; information material and promotional events.
- Technical Assistance to Financial Institutions: The technical assistance helped the financial institutions to introduce a new loan product into its internal procedures to enable clients to finance energy efficiency equipment and renewable energy technologies.
- Financing Energy Analysis (energy audits & feasibility studies): The financing of energy audits helped to determine the potential energy savings and the necessary investments required to realize said potential.
- Promotion of the Initiative: The information material and the events provided additional information promoting awareness among FIs and SMEs about the necessity and the benefits of investing in environmental measures.